Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hair loss post OHS

Posted 08-14-2022 13:23
    Good morning,  
    When I was well into cardiac rehab at roughly three months post op from open heart surgery, I noticed that though my hair was not falling out significantly, none seemed to be growing in.  Over the next several months my former full head of hair was thinning weekly.  I knew this could be a potential side effect from the surgery.  However, witnessing it over several months was alarming.  Recently I had my one year anniversary and now not only is my hair thicker but I can witness the new growth.  Just wanted to share ..

------------------------------
    Kat Edwards
    CA

• 2.  RE: Hair loss post OHS

Posted 08-14-2022 19:56
    Hi Kat

YES! . The medical name for this stress induced hair loss is telogen effluvium and is very common in post surgery patients.  The body makes a wise decision: Take care of my heart OR focus on my hair!!!!  In everyone i have worked with,itcomes back. glad to hear, Lisa

Lisa Johnson
    Registered nurse
    CA

• 3.  RE: Hair loss post OHS

Posted 08-14-2022 21:43
    Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for your response.  Though intellectually I understood the condition most likely was temporary it was difficult to embrace that thought at times.  Appreciate your insights and experience....Kat

Kat Edwards
    CA

• 4.  RE: Hair loss post OHS

Posted 08-22-2022 20:26
    this is reassuring!!! i thought is was my imagination. However, after 10 years post op, i have decided the hair loss is jyst general stress in life

Marilyn B. Rosenhouse
    Mobile: (214)850-0655