Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  56 years with the same aortic valve

Posted 08-20-2023 01:18
    I know this forum is primarily made up of CABG patients but there are a few "valvers" out there.  In 1967, when I was 31, the docs put a mechanical aortic valve in me......a couple days ago, at 88, I celebrated the 56 anniversary of that same valve.  For the "valvers" mechanical valves last a looooong time.
    J. Feusner  

• 2.  RE: 56 years with the same aortic valve

Posted 08-20-2023 02:39

Congratulations Richard!  That is truly an amazing story ... and what a great surgical team you had!  In August 2021 I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a bovine valve.  It has only been two years but I am so grateful for the ease in which I bounced back ....You have certainly set some kind of record for the durability of the mechanical valve.  Here is to Life !!  

------------------------------
    Kat Edwards
    CA

• 3.  RE: 56 years with the same aortic valve

Posted 08-21-2023 06:49
    Richard,
    Congratulations on the 56th anniversary of your mechanical valve.  Heart patients can expect 10 to 20 years with tissue aortic valves. My Edwards aortic valve is 16 years old and I expect to require a TAVR replacement soon.
    Vic 
    Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC

• 4.  RE: 56 years with the same aortic valve

Posted 08-21-2023 14:15
    Thanks to those who responded to my "56 years" post.   Information is key for those who have had or are approaching valve OHS. There is a forum, valvereplacement.org that is dedicated to valve patients only that you would find very informative.

• 5.  RE: 56 years with the same aortic valve

Posted 08-21-2023 08:08

Amazing ❤️

Long Tran
    Omaha, Nebraska