Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Aortic valve replacement

Posted 01-16-2024 08:57

Hi I'm a new member and I have been told I have to get my aortic valve replaced 

------------------------------
    Kelly Fryman
    merchandiser
    premium retail services
    Crestview

• 2.  RE: Aortic valve replacement

Posted 01-16-2024 09:43

Kelly,

You need to have a detailed conversation with your cardiologist. If you don't have a trusted cardiologist, contact your medical center for a recommendation.  These are some questions you should ask your cardiologist:

a. Why do you need an aortic valve replacement? (calcification, bicuspid valve, valve stenosis)

b. How soon does the valve need replacement? (days, weeks, months)

c. Can a transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) procedure be used?

The TAVR procedure is performed in the Cath Lab by an interventional cardiologist. It takes less than a hour and requires an overnight stay. Recovery to normal activities is about a week

The surgical aortic valve replacement (SAVR) is an open heart procedure performed by a heart surgeon.  The surgery takes 2 to 3 hours, the hospital stay is 4 to 5 days and recovery to normal activities is at least 6 weeks.

Please update me on your conversation with your cardiologist and their recommendation.

Thank you,

Vic

Regards,
    Vic Fabry
    CEO, Greylock Advisors, LLC 

• 3.  RE: Aortic valve replacement

Posted 03-04-2024 09:11

Welcome. I am 16 days out of the modified Bentall procedure and feeling great! If you have any questions just ask and I will do my best to answer them all.

Wendell Riggs

• 4.  RE: Aortic valve replacement

Posted 03-04-2024 12:02
    Wendell,
    You are a very fortunate fellow. Where was your surgery performed and who was your surgeon?
    Vic

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey