Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Backsliding? SOB

Posted 09-20-2023 12:15

I'm Russell.  I had CAGBx5 5 months ago, and had a stent placed 3.5 months ago.  I've been going to Cardiac Rehab 3 times a week and but myself up to 3.ûmph at 3% incline for 30 minutes on the treadmill, plus the group core and weight workouts.  Feeling good, feeling strong. 

Then, I have a bad day.  Shortness of breath.  Occasional twine of chest pain, but it goes away in seconds.  Mostly, I just can't catch my breath.  I'm panting after a half mile slow stroll, versus 2 miles in 35 minutes.  So, being cautious, I head to the ER.  EKG is normal.  Enzymes are low, though never again to be zero.  

This is the third time it's happened to me.  Is this normal?  Is it all in my head?  If it's not cardiac, what's going on?

------------------------------
    Russell Richter
    Houston TX

• 2.  RE: Backsliding? SOB

Posted 09-21-2023 05:38
    Russell,
    Post surgery recovery is complicated and can be unpredictable. I have regular discussions with my cardiologist about pain, discomfort and medications during recovery. Have you discussed these issues with your cardiologist?  
    Best of luck,
    Vic
    Victor Fabry, Founder
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey 

• 3.  RE: Backsliding? SOB

Posted 09-21-2023 09:18

Good morning

It is not unusual (through my own experiences) that there will be peaks and valleys during your recovery.  I returned to the hospital 13 months after my initial discharge.  After medicine adjustments, I have been doing well.  My experiences are not the same as yours so my path is probably different.  Conversations with your cardiologist is the key to maintaining your recovery.  I sought the support of a therapist to help me manage through the "ups and downs".  Good luck!

Jeff Luckenbach
    Marlboro Township NJ

• 4.  RE: Backsliding? SOB

Posted 09-21-2023 12:48

Russell,

I had an emergency CABGx5 after a heart attack over 5 1/2 years ago.  I never had shortness of breath but had other symptoms during the first 6 months after surgery, such as scar tissue pulling in my left chest area near where they harvested by left mammary artery for my LAD bypass.  They say it takes a full year to recover from CABG surgery, so you need to remember that.

Of course, if you believe you're having heart issues, a trip to the ER is never the wrong thing to do.  By the way, shortness of breath does not necessarily mean a heart attack.  It also is a symptom of heart failure, and you should be tested for that, if you haven't yet been, so that you can be prescribed medications that can help.  

Shortness of breath can also be caused by other things, such as anxiety. I mention this because you sound pretty anxious.  I just want you to know that you don't have to live with anxiety and therapy, meditation and medication all can help.  When I was at your stage of recovery, I knew that I was living on borrowed time and my primary feeling was one of gratitude.  Still is, 5 years later, even though I'm now older with additional heath issues.  I basically take each day as a gift and am not preoccupied with every little symptom that might be something serious but likely is minor, e.g. that throat pain you woke up with is likely a sore throat, not throat cancer.

Good luck with your recovery!

Ira

Ira Reid
    Hoboken NJ