Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-10-2023 10:47
    I have been so fortunate to have cardiac rehab through my health insurance. Tomorrow will be the last session. There have been 36. About an hour is spent in supervised exercise and another hour in learning about healthy diet and cooking plans and a few on emotional aspects following a heart episode, yoga, balance, etc. If cardiac rehab is an option for you, I highly recommend it from my experience. I am ready for it to end, but I am going to miss the staff and the people I have met through the program. BTW, I am in the San Diego area. 

• 2.  RE: Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-11-2023 06:36
    Richard,
    Congratulations, very well stated.  Unfortunately, only 35% to 40% of OHS patients participate in the cardiac rehab program recommended to them after surgery. Studies have shown that heart patients who complete the 3 month - 36 session  program, live healthier and longer lives. 
    Vic
    Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC

• 3.  RE: Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-11-2023 09:34
    Hi Vic, and thank you for sharing those interesting stats - I had not heard or seen them before. It has been effective for me to have this go so long (3 times a week for 36 weeks). In my case I also took 2 breaks for vacations that were planned and so sine mid-May this has been a part of my life. All the best, Rich

• 4.  RE: Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-11-2023 06:39

Congratulations, brother!  Join a local gym if you haven't already done so and keep up the good work.

Ira

------------------------------
    Ira Reid
    Hoboken NJ

• 5.  RE: Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-11-2023 09:32
    Thanks, Ira - and your suggestion is a good one. I have joined a nearby gym and it has been a good addition in my life. Rich

• 6.  RE: Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-11-2023 09:04

Congratulations! Great job going through the program. Now comes the tough part...applying what you have learned.  Setting up your diet and exercise program is your next challenge. Stick with it!! You will continue to see the difference. 

Jeff Luckenbach
    Marlboro Township NJ

• 7.  RE: Cardiac Rehab

Posted 09-11-2023 09:30
    Thank you, Jeffrey, for the encouraging words. You are right, maintaining and managing will be a lifelong process. All the best, Rich