Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Management of CAD, Diabetes and Hypertension question

Posted 03-13-2023 08:13

Hello,

I had to have emergency bypass surgery when I was 31 years old. I am now 51. Recently I had a stress echo test that showed the possibility of clogging in the vein that was used in my original surgery so I am scheduled for a heart cath and possible stent. Over the past 5 years or so I've also been diagnosed with prediabetes and prehypertension. Has anyone had success with a provider aggressively managing diabetes and/or hypertension along with Coronary Artery Disease? If so, was there any positive impact of aggressive treatment for the other diseases that contributed positively to the management of CAD? Just wondering. 

------------------------------
    Chris Hamm
    Indianapolis IN

• 2.  RE: Management of CAD, Diabetes and Hypertension question

Posted 03-14-2023 04:44

Chris,

It is normal for people with CAD to have one or more of these conditions.  Almost half the adults in this country have hypertension and a large number of those ate prediabetic as well.  Cardiologists and all doctors know about these conditions, and they know how to treat them through medication and lifestyle changes.  It's why you get tested for them at any routine medical exam.

What's different about you is that you needed bypass surgery at such a young age.  I was 67 when I had emergency bypass surgery after a heart attack.  Of course, I also had hypertension sine my 30's although it was being controlled through medication since my 40's. I also was and still am prediabetic even though I've been lean and athletic my entire life and I eat a very healthy diet.

Talk to your cardiologist.  These conditions can and should be managed medically.  And try to find out why you needed bypass surgery at 31.  The reason had to be more than the fact that you have hypertension and are prediabetic.  What about family history, lifestyle, other factors?  Investigate all of them.

Best of luck,

Ira

Ira Reid
    Hoboken NJ

• 3.  RE: Management of CAD, Diabetes and Hypertension question

Posted 04-24-2023 14:10
    Dear Chris
    20 years post op : how wonderful is that!!!!!

Are you seeing an endocrinologist for you diabetes management???? He and your cardiologist can compare finding in order to prescribe what is best for you now.
    Have you also been checked for sleep apnea?
    Marilyn B. Rosenhouse
    Mobile: (214)850-0655