Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NIGHTMARES AND LEGS

Posted 04-03-2023 05:47

Had quintuple bypass surgery in May 2021.  Veins were taken from legs.  Legs feel heavier than prior to surgery but when tell doctor the reply is "we took veins from your legs, what do you expect".
    Also, I have been having frequent nightmares since the surgery.  Thought it was due to meds.  Switched the blood pressure meds.  Was good for a while but now happening again.  
    Has anyone else had these results and what has been done to correct?  
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------------------
    IRA NEWMAN
    MANALAPAN NJ

• 2.  RE: NIGHTMARES AND LEGS

Posted 04-03-2023 10:26
    Are you taking Metoprolol? It's been known to produce nightmares. I switched to Atenolol which bypasses the brain. Are you getting enough exercise? Have you tried journaling or writing down your dreams? Try watching comedies or reading before bed. I hope these suggestions help.

-Terry

• 3.  RE: NIGHTMARES AND LEGS

Posted 04-04-2023 06:22

I switched from metropolol to valsartan.  Can always use more exercise.  Have not done journaling.  Most times I do not even remember what the nightmare was about.

IRA NEWMAN
    MANALAPAN NJ

• 4.  RE: NIGHTMARES AND LEGS

Posted 04-04-2023 06:32

Ira,

Terry made some good suggestions.  I have one more.  Get another doctor if the best that your current doctor can give you in response to a reasonable question is a snarky answer.

I had quintuple bypass surgery 5 years ago and never felt that my legs were heavy.  Maybe it's from water retention, which should be considered by a cardiologist?  My feet were swollen for a time post surgery before resolving itself.  Maybe your heavy legs are a simikar issue?  In any event, you deserve a straight up thoughtful answer from your cardiologist, not a wisecrack.

Hang in there brother.  We've all been there and made it through.  So will you.

Ira Too

Ira Reid
    Hoboken NJ