Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  OHS Coming up

Posted 04-14-2023 08:58

Hi all!

Am almost done with all the testing in preparing for OHS - one bypass and an aortic valve replacement.  Having been healthy as a proverbial horse all my life (I'm now 75), two years ago I suffered appendicitis and almost died.  (I didn't go to the hospital sooner because I thought I had gas ...)  I need replacement parts!  Anyway, I've talked to people who've had OHS years ago and read all your stories.  I'm heartened by how straightforward you are in tackling both this and your recovery.  I know medical advances are being made constantly, and I'm wondering if here's anyone here who's had the surgery recently.  That someone's grandma had it 10 years ago is nice, but not the information I need.  Or maybe the procedure and/or recovery hasn't changed.  As you can tell, I'm beside myself.  

------------------------------
    Sheila Callahan
    Retired
    Port Leyden NY

• 2.  RE: OHS Coming up

Posted 04-15-2023 06:48

Sheila,

Define recent.  I had quintuple bypass surgery 5 years ago and it was considered pretty routine back then, if you can call any surgery under general anesthesia routine.  The recovery just takes a little longer, especially if you're an athlete, because it takes your sternum 6-13 to fully heal.  Still, I was lifting weights 3 months post surgery.  As far as heart health is concerned, I was walking 2 miles a day within 2 weeks of leaving the hospital.  I was approaching my 68th birthday at the time, so I'm nearly 73 now and about to go to the gym to lift weights, which I still do 4x a week.

If 5 years isn't recent enough, there are people on this site who have had OHS as recently as a month ago, maybe less.  Perhaps you'll hear from them.  At any rate, however routine bypass surgery might have been 5 years ago, it is highly improbable that it is less routine now and most likely as or more routine now.

Good luck,

Ira

Ira Reid
    Hoboken NJ

• 3.  RE: OHS Coming up

Posted 04-15-2023 08:59

Thanks, Ira.  

I appreciate your response and am happy to hear you're doing well.  I do hope to hear from someone who's had OHS in the very recent past.

Sheila

Sheila Callahan
    Retired
    Port Leyden NY

• 4.  RE: OHS Coming up

Posted 04-15-2023 18:43

Hi Sheila,
    I'm 70 yo and exactly 8 months post-op for single bypass.  It was all pretty routine, and I was up and walking the next day.  The biggest gift I gave to myself was to take naps during the afternoons whenever I wanted.  I've always been active, but not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.  I rarely feel the need for a nap now.  Completed cardiac rehab 1, 2, and 3 and am now (for the first time in my life) a member of a gym where I work out 3x/week.  Had pretty bad anxiety during the months pre-surgery, but talking with a therapist helped greatly (both before surgery and after).  I now meditate daily.  Please let me know if you have some specific questions or issues you are concerned about.  I've kept a small list of "Things I Learned."  I'm happy to share this with you.   (I have no experience with valve replacement however.)
    -- Deborah

Deborah

• 5.  RE: OHS Coming up

Posted 04-23-2023 15:22

Thanks Deborah.  I'd be very interested in your list.  I have sooo many questions.  

Sheila Callahan
    Retired
    Port Leyden NY