Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 03-24-2023 13:36

Hello friends, 

I've scheduled Open Surgery to replace my 12 year old bovine prosthetic aortic valve on April 20th. This is my second surgery …with my Medical Group at Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego. I have the same surgeon that I had 12 years ago. My surgeon said he may also repair the (4.2cm) ascending aortic aneurysm if deemed beneficial. 

My questions:

Did any of you use a recliner at home during recovery and if so what type of recliner?

I see that many of you are getting second opinions from Cleveland Clinic, and some have chosen them for your procedure. I'm not understanding if you are paying for the surgery out of your own pocket, or if you have insurance that covers them doing the proceduresurgery? My insurance only covers procedures done within my medical group.(unless I'm traveling and it's an emergency.)

Thank you in advance for amy input!

Debi :) 

------------------------------
    Debi Ries
    San Diego, Ca
    AVR / Open Surgery 2011/ TAAA 4.2 cm / Afib

• 2.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 03-24-2023 15:14

Debi,

When I underwent my OHS last year, I slept in the recliner for almost exactly one month after returning home.  I looked at buying a new one, but ended up sticking with my older fake leather LaZBoy that did the trick with the help of a pillow.  I have seen other people describe being able to lay flat in the bed sooner, but I tried a few times and didn't feel comfortable in that position until a month later.  Best wishes for you for a successful surgery.

Dan O'Brien

• 3.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 03-24-2023 18:36

Thank you,Dan! Does/Did your LaZBoy have a long handle on the side, a push-button, electric, or manual to recline? So many options! LOL

Debi Ries
    San Diego, Ca

• 4.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 03-25-2023 10:07

Hi Debi

I used a recliner to relax/nap and watch tv. Mine just had the long handle but it was difficult to do early on and I had trouble sleeping in it. I used a memory foam wedge in by bed to sleep. If you look on amazon you'll find lost of them.

Cleveland Clinic happened to be in network with my insurance so all I had to pay was my total out of pocket amount.

Cole Morrison
    772-215-1621
    Saint Simons Island, GA

• 5.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 03-25-2023 11:13

Thank you, Cole! 

Debi Ries
    San Diego, Ca

• 6.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 03-26-2023 05:00

Hi Debi,

I can't speak to the recliner issue because I was in a medically induced coma for two weeks after my OHS and, when they finally took me off sedation, I had zero problems lying or sleeping flat on my back on a hospital bed or at home.  Took about 6 weeks before I could sleep on my side.

And this brings me to my second, much more important point.  Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, go for your surgery to Cleveland Clinic or anywhere else uncovered by insurance unless you happen to be a billionaire!  My post-surgery complications (ventilator pneumonia) that kept me comatose for two weeks and required that I remain hospitalized 6 weeks (3 of them in a rehab hospital) may have been atypical, but you have no guarantee that this sort of thing won't happen to you.  The total cost of my 6 week hospitalization, had it not been covered by insurance, was well over $1 million and I still had to fight with one hospital and my insurer before I got them to walk away from the $35,000 that the insurer refused to pay.  And I'm a lawyer, well equipped to fight large institutions about money and legal issues without having to pay another lawyer.

Do not go uninsured anywhere and potentially dig yourself an economic grave from which you will not recover.  Go with your tried and true doc from 12 years ago.

Namaste,

Ira

Ira Reid
    Hoboken NJ

• 7.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 04-17-2023 07:50
    Debi,
    There is another forum, Heart Valve Replacement Forums, where the majority of people have mechanical valves and there is a lot of discussion on that. All the best this week.
    Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2023, at 2:13 PM, Daniel O'Brien <dan@genevainjurylaw.com> wrote:

Debi,

When I underwent my OHS last year, I slept in the recliner for almost exactly one month after returning home.  I looked at buying a new one, but ended up sticking with my older fake leather LaZBoy that did the trick with the help of a pillow.  I have seen other people describe being able to lay flat in the bed sooner, but I tried a few times and didn't feel comfortable in that position until a month later.  Best wishes for you for a successful surgery.

Dan O'Brien

• 8.  RE: Open Surgery April 20/Replace Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms

Posted 04-17-2023 10:48

Thank you, Dan!

Debi Ries
    San Diego, Ca