Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pacing wires after CABG

Posted 30 days ago

Just had quadruple bypass about 4 weeks ago. My pacing wires were not removed they were just cut flush with the skin. Should I be worried that they were left in ? Has anyone had same where they were left in ?

------------------------------
    Arturo Lopez
    IT
    Rancho Cucamonga CA

• 2.  RE: Pacing wires after CABG

Posted 30 days ago

Arturo,

Congratulations on a successful procedure. I'm not certain what you mean by "pacing wires".  After any open heart surgery, the surgeon uses a number of synthetic sutures to hold together the edges of the incision.  These are usually dissolvable sutures that disappear within a month or two. Sometimes, I have found a few ends remaining, that poke through the skin. These should not pose a problem and be washed away when in the shower with a wash cloth. If the "pacing wires" are something other than synthetic sutures, you should see immediately see your cardiologist.

All the best,

Vic 

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey
    Short Hills, New Jersey
    fvfabry@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Pacing wires after CABG

Posted 29 days ago

It's a temporary pacemaker where the wires are connected to your heart. Some surgeons have it removed before your discharge and others just leave the wires attached. 

Arturo Lopez
    IT
    Rancho Cucamonga CA

• 4.  RE: Pacing wires after CABG

Posted 29 days ago

My first OHS I had a temporary pacemaker due to complete heart block. The same day my pacemaker was implanted and setup, my temporary pacemaker was removed wires and all.  

When I had my 2nd OHS, I didn't need a temporary pacemaker since I already have one. They had to turn my pacemaker off while I was in surgery.  Once they connected me to the ecmo they turned the pacemaker off, and stopped my heart.  Once they restarted my heart, the turned the pacemaker on and took me off the ecmo.

Brian Keller
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    OHS, CABG,CHF,PACEMAKER Survior

• 5.  RE: Pacing wires after CABG

Posted 9 days ago

I'd ask your cardiologist or heart surgeon at your follow up appointment about if they are planning on removing them, or just letting them in.

Brian 

Brian Keller
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    OHS, CABG,CHF,PACEMAKER Survior