Mended Little Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recent Open Heart Patient

Posted 06-29-2023 11:00

Hi, my name is Rich Smith and I recently had open heart surgery.  Physically, I am doing fine.  Mentally, not so well.  I would love to connect with anyone who has gone through this or is currently going through recovery.

I am very fortunate to have great family support and the resources to pay for my needs.  However, the depression associated with my recovery can be a bit overwhelming at times.  

Please let me know if you can help.

------------------------------
    Rich Smith
    Cedar Park TX

• 2.  RE: Recent Open Heart Patient

Posted 06-30-2023 11:39

Hi Rich,

I am glad to hear that you are doing fine physically, and I certainly understand that the emotional part of undergoing open heart surgery is a whole other thing to contend with --- My open heart surgery was in 2016 and I well recall the feelings both before and after my heart surgery. I sent you a private message as I am the President of a Houston area chapter that meets online. I think it could be helpful for you to meet others who have traveled a similar journey.  It's wonderful to have help from friends and family as they provide such great support, but it can also be helpful to talk to other heart patients who have had a similar experience as you have -- we are part of a club we never really signed up for!  Let me know how I can support you in your recovery.  

Blessings,

Lea

Lea Parker

• 3.  RE: Recent Open Heart Patient

Posted 06-30-2023 14:14

Good afternoon. I am new to this community and recently had open surgery. 
    I am looking for anyone who can help me navigate the mental aspect of recovery. I just need to know that it will get better. Physically, I am fine. In a matter of three weeks I have managed to up my walk distance to 2 1/2 miles and feel pretty good. 
    Mentally, not so good. My depression came at me hard and unexpectedly. I am taking steps to relax and control my emotions but I think hearing from others would help immensely. 
    Thank you for listening,

Rich Smith

Rich Smith
    Cedar Park TX