Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recovery After CABG3

Posted 2 days ago

I have a few questions, after open heart surgery CABG3 they gave me a heart pillow to hold constantly, anyone had sleeping issues, walking and holding this pillow?  Anyone had issues with not using their hands? How did you overcome the limitations? How did you handle getting in and out of bed? Any improvement or suggestions for a quicker recovery? Let me know. 

Thanks

------------------------------
    Kevin English
    Plantation FL

• 2.  RE: Recovery After CABG3

Posted 2 days ago
    Kevin,
    I believe the purpose of the heart pillow is to cushion your chest against coughing or sneezes.
    If you've ever coughed after surgery you'll understand, so keep it handy. Since your heart is left of center in your chest, my suggestion is to try sleeping on your right side, which may be more comfortable.
    Good luck,
    Vic 
    Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey

• 3.  RE: Recovery After CABG3

Posted 2 days ago
    Hi Kevin,
    I used the pillow when coughing , sneezing , getting out of bed and under the seatbelt when I rode in the backseat of the car. 
    As for sleeping, I used a wedge under my pillow and slept on my back with some elevation from the wedge. I was unable to sleep on my side for the first two months. 
    I found a couple of YouTube videos that gave nice examples of getting out of bed. The wedge came in handy for that since I was rising with the small elevation. 
    Please don't get discouraged. Take small steps and celebrate each one. Listen to what your body says and don't try to do too much, too soon. 
    Best of luck. You can do this!!
    Lesa
    Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Recovery After CABG3

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on getting your OHS done! It's nice your hospital gave you a heart pillow; my hospital did the same. In addition to supporting my chest while I coughed, I carried my pillow around the house to help me remember to not use my arms while sitting or standing. Eventually, I stopped carrying my pillow but continued to walk around the house with my arms crossed over my chest at the wrists to remind me to not use my arms.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting out of bed. I did too. The ICU nurses taught me to swing one leg over the edge of the mattress and hook my leg under the mattress to help me sit up without using my arms. Unfortunately, our bed at home was too tall for me to hook my leg so I had to have someone hold my legs down while I used my stomach muscles to sit up.

Did someone teach you to hook a leg under the side of the bed while you were in the hospital? Or can a nurse visit your house and show you how to do it? Alternately, is there someone else at home that can help hold your legs down so you can sit up yourself? You may need to remind them that they should not pull your arms or shoulders to assist you. 

Like Lesa, I was not allowed to sleep on my side for several months and I also tried sleeping on a wedge for the first couple of weeks. It made it a little easier to sit up but my back got sore so I switched to sleeping flat. I needed a little help to gently lay back flat so someone placed a hand on my back and gave me the slightest bit of help so I wouldn't flop back and jar my sternum.

Healing takes time and the more you can protect your sternum, the better. Button front shirts (so you're not raising your arms to struggle into a pullover) and elastic waist shorts or pants (so you're not tempted to pull up and fasten jeans or trousers) will help. Also, consider anything above your head or below your knees out of bounds for the time being. Your ribcage with thank you in the long run!

Most of all, get lot of rest. You've been through a big ordeal and your body is busy healing. When the time comes and your doctor approves you for cardio rehab, DEFINITELY take advantage of it. I went to every single one of my classes and can't begin to tell you how much it increased my stamina and restored my confidence in my health.

In the meantime, I hope you had a good day and are ready to continue your healing tomorrow,

Scott

Scott Kane
    Chico, CA

• 5.  RE: Recovery After CABG3

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Kevin Sounds like you're getting a lot of good advice. One thing my nurse friend insisted I do was to have my GP refer me for Home Health. It's covered by Medicare and the nursing is extremely helpful in monitoring your sternal incision and making sure you're on the road to recovery. PT and OT are also available through Home Health and very helpful. My CT surgeon also placed an order for me to attend Cardiac Rehab when I was ready. I took advantage of this 2 months after my surgery and discovered that there is only a small percentage of heart surgery patients that attend Cardiac Rehab. I highly recommend it as I'm getting back to my pre surgery status and many of the attendees are doing better than pre surgery condition. I wish you all the best and want you to know that you will get better, even if it's a slow road to recovery, as healing takes time and patience. Mary

Mary Malone

• 6.  RE: Recovery After CABG3

Posted 19 hours ago

Hi Kevin, 

Congratulations on your surgery.  You are well on your way to healing.

With regard to the heart pillow....After OHS I was instructed to ride in vehicle  back seat for 10-12 weeks with my pillow between my chest and the seat belt.  I slept on my back for that same period of time with large pillows on either side of me.  To get out of bed in the morning I shimmied slightly on my right side with my feet; dropped my feet to the floor and simultaneously sat up on the bed...requires some stomach muscle.  I was also instructed upon leaving the hospital that arms should remain at my sides. I gave them a funny look and she explained that a good rule of thumb was to remember to keep my elbows at my sides  and it would feel automatic after awhile. I could use my hands but only with elbows at my side  For those 3+ weeks I did require assistance due to arm immobility but it paid off in the end with my sternum healing seamlessly and quickly.  At the end of 2-3 weeks post op my cardiologist enrolled me into 6-9 month rehab program depending on how often ones attends the clinic.  That program propelled me into incredible shape after 6 months as I felt secure in pushing measured limits in a safe environment.  Wish you continued progress in your post op recovery....

Kat Edwards
    CA

• 7.  RE: Recovery After CABG3

Posted 3 hours ago

Hi Kevin

Yes, everything you're going through is par for the course.  It takes time for body to heal from the surgical trauma so hang in there and let it heal.  I gauged my progress by the month at first, then by the week, and would notice small but progressive improvements in my ability to move normally, throughout the course of my daily and nightly routine with small measures of discomfort subsiding as the weeks and months passed.  In my case, I seemed to hit milestones every few months and by the one year mark I was 99% back to normal.  Little things I took for granted were hard at first, then got easier.  And I used the heart pillow as far out as 10 months after my CABG3 since the coughs and sneezes were a challenge to accomplish without sternum pain or, eventually, discomfort.  But, given the time your body needs, it will heal and return to normal. 

Michael Brown
    Retired