Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 21 days ago

Hello all!  You have been so wonderful with all your support.  I'm very happy to have found this site. 

I'm now 2 weeks post-op and feeling somewhat human again.  My discharge from the hospital felt very rushed to me and I'm a little in lurch on some of my questions.  They provided a "patient support" line but I just sit on hold with it.  So while I waited I thought I'd poll the group here for your experience.

Occasionally, perhaps twice a day or so, I feel a gentle "click" in my sternum.  There's zero pain.  It usually happens while I'm walking.  It's a weird feeling.  In my little handbook it says "if you feel clicking, popping and chest instability, go to the ER".  Yet all I feel is a tiny click.  I'm not sure this is what they meant... But this is obviously all new to me. There's nobody to call that can clarify!  

I don't want to go to the ER unless it's necessary.  It will be an exhausting process and I didn't want to do it needlessly. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Karin Ramsay
    N/A - done by owner
    L'ile-Perrot QC

• 2.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 21 days ago
    Happy Memorial Day.

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey

• 3.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 21 days ago

I'm still learning about how this site works as I sent you a note earlier, but don't know if you received it. I spoke w my CT Cardiac Surgeon the other day(he's at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and I live in NC, so I traveled there to have a minimally invasive Aortic Valve Replacement, which is different than a TAVR) So I thought that if you could speak with your surgeon and/or Cardiologist it might be helpful. Wishing you good luck and a speedy recovery

Mary Malone

• 4.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 19 days ago

Welcome to the Open Heart Experience forum! This space is designed for us to come together and share our journeys through pre and post open heart surgeries (OH), offering support, understanding, and guidance to one another.

I've dedicated many years to advocating for better support services for post-OH patients, believing strongly in the importance of preparing individuals for what lies ahead after their hearts have been touched by surgery. I've found that the experience of undergoing open heart surgery can profoundly change us, altering the way we perceive and relate to our own hearts.

Like many of you, I've grappled with fears and uncertainties following my surgeries. At one point, I was even afraid to feel the beat of my own heart, constantly questioning its rhythm and function. I've coined the term "Cardiac Crippled" to describe the state of mind that can arise from such fears if left untreated, potentially crippling our quality of life.

However, I've been fortunate to have a strong support network outside of my cardiac team, which has helped me navigate these challenges over the past 37 years, during which I've undergone multiple surgeries and procedures. While my physical heart may have been through a lot, it's been my inner strength and willingness to seek mental health support that have truly carried me through.

I share my story not to frighten anyone, but to inspire courage. I've learned that courage is the antidote to fear, and it's something we can cultivate within ourselves. Despite the clicks, rattles, and irregular beats in my chest, I choose to focus on the fact that I'm still here, standing tall and breathing.

I've come to understand the power of my own thoughts and how they can influence my experiences. By directing my focus away from fear and towards gratitude and resilience, I've been able to reduce unnecessary visits to the ER and reclaim a sense of freedom in my life.

Recovery from open heart surgery is a journey, and it's normal to have concerns and questions along the way. Remember, you're not alone in this. We're all here to support each other and share our collective wisdom.

So, as you navigate this new chapter in your life, know that every feeling you're experiencing is valid. Take comfort in the small blessings, and trust in your body's ability to heal. And always remember, you are stronger than you think, and you have the power to overcome any challenge that comes your way.

Wishing you all strength, courage, and a speedy recovery.

David 

• 5.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 19 days ago
    David 
    Sharing your honest and sincere thoughts about your OHS journey's is an inspiration for many other heart patients.
    Rather than ask "why did this happen to me", we should ask "what did I learn from this" and "how can I contribute this knowledge to others".
    Sharing your knowledge with other heart patients on the Mended Hearts Open Forum is admired and valuable.
    Best of health,
    Vic

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey

• 6.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 19 days ago

Oh yes!  This is what I'm feeling right now!  "Cardiac crippled".  I suppose in the early days of recovery it is to be expected.  There are so many new aches, pains and random unpleasant sensations!!!  It's hard to know what is "normal" and what is a warning sign of an issue. 

My family physician has suggested counseling to help bridge the gap between being health conscious without being hyper sensitive to every blip and ache and sore jaw.  It's not a bad idea.

Thank you for your insight 

😀

Karin Ramsay
    N/A - done by owner
    L'ile-Perrot QC

• 7.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 21 days ago
    The "click" is normal ... part of the sternum healing process.

• 8.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 21 days ago

Hi there I'm not sure about your clicking as I had a minimally invasive Aortic Valve Replacement and there is a lot of weirdness happening in my body during and presently after 2 months post op.

I will be speaking with my cardiologist on Thurs about all that and I spoke to myCT surgeon atCleveland Clinic, even though I live in NC

Perhaps you can speak to your surgeon or your cardiologist w/o having to go to the ER

Good luck, wishing you well

Mary Malone

• 9.  RE: So many questions! I felt a small "click" in my sternum

Posted 20 days ago

Karin,  since you are newly post-op, I would at the very least, call your surgeon's office.  You should be able to talk with the nurse or PA and let them know what's going on.  If they recommended an ER visit, should this occur, I would definitely give them a call.  Staff is always happy when patients are prudent and seek advice rather than have them wait and have a mildly treatable thing turn into a major issue.  

Good luck  

Annette

annette smith
    saxonburg PA