Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

• 1.  sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-09-2023 08:13
    A Home Health nurse was visiting for the first time. I had the sudden cardiac arrest. He did CPR until the PARAMEDICS came. I had had no previous heart issues. He saved my life. I now have a pacemaker and am ticking long. My emotions took quite a shock so that is a big issue now. I am needing emotional support now. I want to have a support group to help al all these issues.
       I hope this note gets to someone. I really wonder if I did any of this right.  Karen Godman 2545 SE 223rd. Ave, Apt. 360, Gresham, OR

------------------------------
    [Karen Goldman [Retired teacher]
    [Gresham [OR] USA
    971-207-9861
    Karen Goldman
    karengoldman72@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-09-2023 21:35
    Hi Karen, 
    I'm so sorry you are feeling this way, you did the right thing by reaching out to this group. You'll find a lot of support here, but I would also recommend talking with a professional.
    I had emergency surgery in May of 2019, CABGX2. At the time I was only 54 and thought I was in relatively good shape, so it came as quite a surprise. Around the three-month mark of recovery is when the cardiac blues set in. They hit me pretty hard. I became very depressed with anxiety as well. I didn't know what was happening to me. I reached out to the members of this group, which helped a lot!
    I also met with a psychologist weekly for over a year, in her office then through video when COVID hit. I cannot tell you how much that helped me. I've learned how to manage those thoughts should they arise. 
    Hang in there, things will get better. You'll get through this. It's just going to take some time and remember to talk with someone as to how you are feeling.
    Also, I started walking regularly, which helped as well.
    Best of luck to you and remember we all are here for you and probably have all felt what you are going through.
    Michelle

michelle leverett
    Ridgecrest CA

• 3.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-09-2023 22:06
    I received a post from Michell (sp)this evening at about 6:45 pm. My first one. YEA! You said such helpful things. It was nice to hear from someone. It's 3 months for me and I have had no support groups. I am a Kaiser girl (83 yr. old) And I finally reached out to them & got some help. I do see a therapist only just now started every 2 wk. I am pretty sure he will add more. I do have Home Health too which is SOOO helpful. These people are great, but they come and go. I cried today when I tried to make a Dr's. appointment. Navigating between their needs and mine was too much. They finally gave me to another advice nurse, and I did it. Some are just not compassionate.  Thanks so much for being there.

[Gresham [OR] USA
    971-207-9861
    Karen Goldman
    karengoldman72@gmail.com

MAIL.COM

• 4.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-10-2023 11:44
    Hi Karen,
    I unexpectedly had a quadruple bypass this past July and have learned a lot since then.  As great as my cardiac team is/was, they do not concentrate on the emotional aspect of our recovery. I had no idea that I was feeling depressed until my primary physician explained that most heart patience develop the symptoms shortly after the experience.  I simply assumed that I was "disgusted" because I wasn't able to get back to work quickly, I could not walk around the block without feeling tired... and all the negative thoughts that kept popping into my head. My physician put me on a low dose of Prozac and it has helped dramatically. Although recover is taking longer than I would have expected, everyday is a little better than the day before. Therapy is another great idea but unfortunately my insurance does not cover it. 

To make a long story short, whatever works best for you - try to remind yourself about the small victories but don't beat yourself up for feeling depressed.  Changing one's way of thinking is like learning anything new - it takes time, patience and quite a few regressions before it becomes natural. One of my favorite expressions is, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single footstep".

All the best,
    Jeff

Jeff Salat
    New York, NY

• 5.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-10-2023 15:26

Hello Jeff and everyone,
    It's been about 7mts since your bypass I'm glad to hear you are doing so well as to walk around a block. When I got hit with this sudden cardiac arrest at 83 I was living in an electric scooter confined because of chronic pain from osteoporosis, arthritis and rotary cuff complete break downs.
       I said all that so you would know where I am. My psychiatrist is adding more hours. That does help.  My attitude seems to be spiraling down to depression and anxiety. Today I felt too "tired" to get dressed and go to lunch. (Independent living) Too much to face and to handle. (So, I said to myself)
       Now since I have this group, I will work this afternoon on being positive. KAREN 

[Gresham [OR] USA
    971-207-9861
    Karen Goldman
    karengoldman72@gmail.com

MAIL.COM

• 6.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-11-2023 10:27
    Hi Karen,

First thing - please allow me to apologize for misspelling 'patients' in my last email. I see you are retired teacher and I'm guessing that spelling errors may be a pet peeve.

Try not to beat yourself up over a bad hour, day.... Recognizing those moods are part of the process and working on positivity takes a lot of effort. It is much easier to feel bad but feeling good is obviously so much healthier.

As I mentioned earlier, I could not walk around the block after my surgery but built up slowly. I live in Manhattan and felt trapped at home because NY is such a walking city. I pushed myself to take a short walk at least once a day and and I'm still pushing. I could walk about 7 miles pre-surgery and have reached about 3 miles after 5 months of trying. I definitely get frustrated because I'm not back to 7 miles but I'll get there.

If mobility is an issue, try to reach out to friends and family just to talk. I felt that I was forcing my burdens on them but good people really want to help.

Best,
    Jeff

Jeff Salat
    New York, NY

• 7.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-11-2023 23:58
    Dear Karen and Jeff
    Your heart journeys are so touching. Many of us have been down this road. Recovery from the incident, and treatment ( surgery etc) takes time. And don’t forget that your body was also handling your condition before you knew you had a heart issue. Step by step day by day by week by month rtc you should see improvement.
    Then you will become like me celebrating my 10 year post open heart surgery ( with complications) anniversary!!!!!😍😍😍😍

Marilyn B. Rosenhouse
    Mobile: (214)850-0655

• 8.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-11-2023 09:32
    Karen- Fear, depression, uncertainty about the future accompany heart problems frequently. (Stick around here and you'll meet someone experiencing the similar reactions soon.) Tell your cardiologist how you feel. An anti-depressant may be in order. (It was for me.) Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work at first; sometimes it takes a while to find the right one. And sometimes a placebo effect kicks in before the medication could actually have taken effect. Stay positive. You can't believe now how much better you can feel. (It's been 11 years since my OHS and nine since my defibrilator. I'm 80 and I still feel terrific.

Bob] Levin
    Berkeley CA
    adelbob@comcast.netRobertRobert

• 9.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-12-2023 12:46
    Hello Karen, 

Thank you for reaching out for emotional support. You experienced a trauma that can gives birth to all sorts of side-affects and left untreated can cause more stress than the original trauma. "He saved my life" is a pretty serious statements, this reminds the mind and spirit "I almost died" which is as profound as the latter statement. I was a mess after my first Open-Heart (OH). I was 24 and had Aortic valve replacement surgery,  and if that was not enough for a 24 year old, my electrical system was damaged when cutting out the aortic valve and a temporary pacemaker was keeping me alive . After 9 days in critical care unit it was decided I would never leave the hospital without a pacemaker. I am not 59 and have had three OH, and have worn out 5 pacemakers and two wires. I am on pacemaker number 6 and have 4 wires in my chest and living a reasonably happy, useful, and purposeful life. I have experienced PTSD, depression, and anxiety throughout my years as a lifelong heart patient and I would love to tell you how life has been a tip-toe through the tulips, it has not been! I have been in therapy for many years and, belong to various support groups and have utilized psych meds to help stabilize my emotions. As previously stated, I am living a reasonably happy, useful, and purposeful life in spite of my malady and in spite of myself. I use my life experiences to help others who are suffering and this has given meaning and purpose to my pain. My life is an open book, I never know what chapter might provide some person is suffering from terminal uniqueness, or just feeling super alone and afraid and in need of support. Reach out anytime, and we are glad you are here, glad your life was saved.

David Apilado Sr.
    Retired
    Vallejo California

• 10.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-13-2023 02:33
    I'd love to hear your story. Please write to me. Karen

[Gresham [OR] USA
    971-207-9861
    Karen Goldman
    karengoldman72@gmail.com

MAIL.COM

• 11.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-13-2023 03:50
    Sometimes I am BLANK. EMOTIONLESS. Am I in denial? I went unconscious immediately and only felt one huge bang to my chest. To me It is hard to believe this happened, except I have a pacemaker. Please tell me your story. I know it would be soo good for me. Karen

[Gresham [OR] USA
    971-207-9861
    Karen Goldman
    karengoldman72@gmail.com

MAIL.COM

• 12.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-15-2023 07:27
    Dear Karen
    Please be patient!! It is ok to feel BLANK during your recovery. Hopefully its a result of some of your medications ( check with your doctors). Your body and Brain are catching up with heart recovery. I called the BLANKness episodes “Chilling out” and this helped me not feel so unhappy about them . Gradually you will become more and more yourself. The doctor told me it takes 12 months to become The NEW You or ME again, (i think it took me 2 years). Just enjoy each day what you can: small improvements, “smell the roses”, and as you feel better reach out to others . Prayer is also helpful
    You can call me for my story, i had a “ routine “ mitrovalve repair that developed complications on the operating table and awoke from medically induced coma 10 days later. AND in this past September, I celebrated my 10 year anniversary!!!! My heart factors are normal and I enjoy 3 more grandchildren!!! Being a part of Mended Hearts which i discovered one year post op has been a big help for my husband ( he had PTSD i think from my operation issues) and me
    Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Marilyn B. Rosenhouse

• 13.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-11-2023 13:33

Karen 

I had a quintuple bypass 10 yrs ago this month at the age of 52. The recovery was slow and emotional.  I have a large extended family and a few friends.  I found them to be supportive in my weekly or monthly calls to talk about my health.  I thanked them each time for letting me vent and most were gracious.  I worked slowly walking the house timing my walks. After three years I was able to snow ski. I got another stint in November 2019 and 2 more in February 2020. Plus my dear mom passes in January 2020.  I was mad at the world and in counseling for depression and anxiety. In the summer of 2020 I heard the voice of god/guardian angels or whatever you want to call them saying "Randy you are going to die". I heard this multiple times and had no doubt that I would not see the end of August 2020. During one of these conversations I said that I didn't want to die. On August 5 while working out at rehab from my stints installed in February I had a vtach and did die.  The nurses saved my life with a defibrillator. I now have a pacemaker and defibrillator.  I was visited again by my guardian angels letting me know that I get to live.  My counselor helped me through all the anxiety relief thrills of living. 

All this to let you know to reach out to friends and family and ask them if you can talk with them about your emotions and feelings. I strongly recommend counseling.  

My cardiac rehab angels (ie nurses) taught me to listen to my body.  Try to exercise every day and a little more each week. Baby steps to toddler waddling to walking to even possibly skiing. 

I wish you the best of luck and hope and happiness 

Randy Waclawczyk
    Austin Texas 

Randy Waclawczyk
    Round Rock TX

• 14.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-11-2023 13:35

Hi Karen,

Surviving cardiac arrest is a mind-blowing and scary experience. The same thing happened to me, except it was my husband doing CPR and trying to call 911 at the same time. That was back in 1998. And now here I am. My emotions following my cardiac arrest ranged from feeling so lucky to have survived, to why did this happen to me, to what's going to happen next, to the point where my husband called my nurse and had her talk with me. It really helped. I also joined a support group. 
    Please feel free to call me if you'd like to chat. You're going through a lot right now and we're all here to help each other.

Cheryl Lachelt
    Burnsville MN

• 15.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-16-2023 01:14
    Karen , I am 42 no precious health or heart issues . I went to the er with right shoulder pain and arm pain . They did a ct scan and said that my Arota was dissecting . They took me by ambulance and I went into emergency open heart surgery . Told me it was a very dangerous surgery and it would be 6-11 hours . After a hour and a half they came out to tell my husband they opened me up and my Arota was fine . They did a heart cath and said my heart is fine also . It's been 8 weeks and I have severe anxiety. It has been the worst part , I have made a trip to the er scared bc of the pain I was feeling and thinking something was wrong . I have pain everyday due to the open heart . They said it can take 3 months to 6 months to go away so I know how you're feeling . Prayer has been the main help for me . I will remember you in my prayers . Thanks , Lacy Hoover

Lacy ] Hoover ]
    manager
    ard
    Stevenson AL

• 16.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-16-2023 09:40
    Dear Lacy
    I am sorry that you had to go through that!!!
    Have they ever figured out what caused your symptoms in the first place??
    please push that investigation , while recording from all that trauma and surgery

Marilyn B. Rosenhouse

• 17.  RE: sudden cardiac arrest Oct. 21 in my apt. NO previous heart issues. Need emotional support now.

Posted 01-16-2023 12:36
    Yes , they are saying it is my gallbladder . So now I have to have my gallbladder removed . It has been a nightmare to say the least . My daughter is having her first baby anytime now so I’m hoping my body is fully recovered that I can be in the delivery room without any problems in my body . I’m thankful to be alive no doubt but it has been a rough road .

Sent from my iPhone