Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-26-2022 14:00

Hi there, I'm new here but I wanted to come and introduce myself and share a bit about myself.

A few years ago, I found out I had a heart problem. Doctors reassured me that it wouldn't cause any issues at my early age but maybe in my 60s. They thought it was due to disease but little did they know, it was congenital. I was born with a rare heart defect and for it to come by itself and not with other defects is even rarer. Thankfully this little thing I have is the only defect I have. It's called supravalvular mitral ring. It's a piece of tissue that sits on top of my mitral valve. It doesn't allow blood to flow as it should so it's causing me to have a condition similar to severe mitral valve stenosis.

This little ring causes lightheadedness, problems breathing, palpitations, and eventually heart failure, which is why recently, my doctors have been talking about surgery. My doctors knew about the palpitations since they discovered I had SVT during a routine 30-day holster monitor test back in 2014. I had other symptoms but I never thought to mention them because I thought they were due to me having gained weight. So the palpitations were there for about 8 yrs but I recently saw my congenital cardiologist and mentioned the other symptoms. It turns out I also have congestive heart failure and that will make you gain weight and have the other symptoms, who knew? not me...

I had a bike stress test with an echo on a bed (weird I know) then a CPX test (cardiopulmonary exercise test) and was told I did really well but then came the call from my congenital cardiologist, and she says my tests might look well, but my symptoms say otherwise. She says I need heart surgery, OPEN HEART SURGERY. At my age? I'm only 41! I'm waiting to do a bilateral cardiac catherization next week and a preop with a million tests (echo, ekg, labs, etc) on 11/28 and then 11/30 I will have my OHS. Thankfully it's being done at Stanford so I feel confident about it but I'm super scared. I don't know what to expect. I'm really afraid of the pain and recovery. Ugh...

And if you've read this far, thank you.

------------------------------
    Yessica Sanchez
    CA

• 2.  RE: SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-26-2022 17:01
    The younger you are the quicker the recovery time. There is going to be some pain and discomfort for a week or two but probably nothing like what you're imagining. I had my second valve repair on 10/14 and I'm home, walking, preparing food and feeling good. My biggest challenge is boredom since I can't drive yet. You're going to be fine. 

• 3.  RE: SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-27-2022 20:19
    Oh I hope that's my biggest challenge as well! Glad you're doing well!

Yessica Sanchez
    CA

• 4.  RE: SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-27-2022 09:51

Hi Yessica. I can relate to the stress you're going through with the impending open heart surgery, I was in a very similar situation and in my mid-40s when I had my last surgery to replace the aortic valve. (It all turned out well) Learning more about what to expect and hearing other people's stories with similar conditions is often very helpful and reassuring. We have a group of Young Mended Hearts in Bellingham WA who are always very supportive and you'd be welcome to join our monthly Zoom calls. Given the timing of your surgery feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk, either with me or another member of our group. 

Peter

Peter Kilcline
    Bellingham

• 5.  RE: SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-27-2022 20:20
    Thank you for the invite and response. I do think talking to people about it who have gone thru it helps. That's why I searched for a forum and finally found this one.

Yessica Sanchez
    CA

• 6.  RE: SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-27-2022 14:38
    Dear Yessica
    So sorry that you are going through this rough time with your heart. I have no knowledge about congenital defects, it sounds great that you were able to have 40 years of good heart health until now. You are wise to continue getting heart check ups all this time. my advise: you can get second opinion on your need for surgery now. Its likely that the second doctor will agree.
    We wish you well and please keep in touch with us.

Marilyn B. Rosenhouse
    Mobile: (214)850-0655

• 7.  RE: SUpravalvular Mitral Ring and open heart surgery

Posted 10-27-2022 20:23
    My congenital cardiologist consulted with Stanford and even had a meeting with them to discuss my case; they agreed the best option was surgery. I will meet with them 2 days before and will ask their opinion there but I'm confident in my doctor's decision on needing surgery. And I am thankful for the good 40 yrs, just wish it had been longer.

Yessica Sanchez
    CA