Mended Hearts Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Upcoming Open Heart

• 1.  Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-22-2024 12:42

I have a horrible family history of heart disease. Until this week, I was the only member of my family (siblings, parents) that had not been under the knife for open heart surgery.  I walk 2 to 3 miles fairly regularly and try to watch what I eat, but I guess you cannot beat DNA.

My 3 blockages are not causing any symptoms other than occasional chest pain when I lay down at night.  A trip to the cardiologist, a stress test, a nuclear stress test, and a heart cath later I am scheduled for a "consult" on Monday the 29th to go over the surgery and set a date. My case is what was described as "Non-emergent" meanwhile I am thinking every heart case should be an emergency.

Meanwhile, I get another week of being scared to death of this surgery and being angry that my life is being interrupted by this. I know I am feeling all the typical stuff. I am an emotional mess right now and full of anxiety.  60 year old male (divorced) .  Right now its just a waiting game I guess.  I wlll take any advice or encouragment at this point.  Totally devestated. 

------------------------------
    Trey Warner
    Police Officer
    OK

• 2.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-22-2024 16:58
    Trey,
    Every one of the survivors of a heart condition or procedure has had the same emotionYou stated your condition is a non-emergency, which means your cardiologist and surgical team have time to decide the best and safest procedure to correct your condition. The solutions to your heart condition could range from minimally invasive such as angioplasty (ballon procedure) to a stent (device placed inside a blood vessel) to a bypass surgery.  I suggest you bring a written list of questions with you to the next consult so you can get all your questions answered. 
    1. What are the options to correct my condition?
    2. What are the risks of this procedure?
    3. How long will I be in the hospital?
    4. How long will my recovery be?
    5. What restrictions will I have?
    If you do not have complete trust in the interventional cardiologist or surgeon get a second opinion.
    It's a good idea to have a family member or friend with you to ask questions and make notes.  
    There are over 600,000 stents procedures performed every year and over 170,000 bypass surgeries.
    I'll wager that you have three stents procedures and leave the hospital the next day.
    Good luck and stay positive.
    Vic

• 3.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-23-2024 08:29
    Dear Trey,

Welcome to mended hearts!  I'm sorry your heart needs to be mended but I'm so grateful you are reaching out and having this time to ask questions and prepare - non emergency.  You asked for encouragement so here I am!  I was born with a congenital heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot. I needed a shunt  when I was just a baby to save my life and wait for my heart to grow large enough  to operate.   Then, at 6 years old I had surgery to repair my heart defects.  That was 50 years ago!  I have led the most wonderful active full life with pretty much no restrictions!  I do have a leaky pulmonary valve that will need to be changed when the time is right - non emergency.  I go for check ups faithfully every year which is so important!  But mostly, I'm so grateful for the amazing cardiologists that literally save our lives and repair our hearts!  Now, the same surgery I had can be done when children are babies and in much less invasive ways.  I hope I've helped you to see that while needing our hearts mended isn't fun, it is a blessing to have doctors who can help us and repair our hearts.  Bring all your questions to your cardiologist and here and know that you aren't alone. I'll be praying for you!  Please keep us posted.

Tina

• 4.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-23-2024 08:45
    Trey,

Open heart surgery is not something most people look forward to but the results are normally very good and you will extend your life by having it.
    I retired from law enforcement and 6 months later I had 5way bypass surgery.
    I have just celebrated 17 bonus years because of the surgery. Yes, it does interrupt your life for a short time but following that interruption you should do well and return to doing most anything you want to. In my opinion you will be much safer going thru this surgery than you are working on the street in this day and age. Best of luck if the surgery is needed.

Tommy Broughton
    Mended Hearts Chapter 28

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-23-2024 09:11
    Trey,

While fear is normal, you need to know the facts: almost no one dies anymore from heart surgery and while the prep is a series of mild to moderate "inconveniences" everything leading up to the actual procedure is closely monitored by a team of experts who perform the surgery on a daily basis. Do your research, choose a surgeon you can trust and be confident.

Terry T.
    Boca Raton, Fl. 

• 6.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-24-2024 10:06

Hi Trey,

I feel your anxiety.  Like you, I have a family history of heart disease, on my father's side, that goes back a couple of generations.  Having watched my father, uncle, and aunt each pass from heart related issues, each of them in their early fifties, I had only my brother to gauge my life expectancy.  And that cloud has been hovering overhead since the '70's.  Then, in 2020, my brother, who is 3 yrs older than me, died suddenly one morning after waking up and complaining that he didn't feel good.  Ten minutes later he was gone.  Then whatever expectations I had of living beyond his age of 69, were gone with him. 

I knew this history was something to take seriously so I began the heart related medical regimen at age 50 and all had been good until 10 months ago when I suddenly began having symptoms that I'd never experienced.  It took only one visit to my primary care physician and I was fast tracked to a cardiologist.  15 minutes with the cardiologist and I was admitted, thru the emergency entrance, to the hospital and began procedures that resulted in open heart surgery.  My event was a triple bypass and mitral valve replacement. 

It's now 10 months later and I'm past the physical and emotional mending and adjusting to this new normal.  A valuable realization I've acquired in this 10 months is that I am not alone in my journey and what I've been thru, in all aspects, is shared by countless others.  Along with that, I've come through it with an appreciation for the incredible caregivers that attended to me throughout the process.  Nurses are angels on earth.  My cardiologist is my new 'best friend' (although he doesn't know it).  And modern medicine is a technical and scientific marvel.  My event was a surprise and since I never saw it coming, although my family history suggested it would, it was a bit surreal.   You are ahead of the game and that's a blessing.  And I know, even without meeting them, that you are in good hands with your team of caregivers.

I wish you the best and hope to hear more of your experience when you're on the mend.  :)

Michael Brown
    Retired

• 7.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-25-2024 21:10

Thank you sir. I will definitely post more as I take this journey.  I will know more on Monday, but it will be at least a triple bypass.  The good thing is that I am 59, my mother who is 88, had a triple bypass 30 years ago at age 58. She is 88 and still very strong, alert and vibrant.  I have another brother who had a double bypass at at 45 and is now 70.  My issue is just the anxiety leading up to this. I walk, I run, I climbed Mt. Vesuvious in Italy only a year ago.. No symptoms ever.  I am a diabetic which I believe contributes.  My cardiologist said "You could be a vegetarian marathoner and you would still be here facing this" basically saying... you cant beat DNA. !   

Trey Warner
    Police Officer
    OK

• 8.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-28-2024 09:47

I received a prosthetic Mitral heart valve and an anoplasty ring on my Tricuspid Vale in 1992.  Still going strong at 86 years young.  Phil

Phil W

• 9.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-28-2024 09:48

I received a prosthetic Mitral heart valve and an anoplasty ring on my Tricuspid Valve in 1992.  Still going strong at 86 years young.  Phil

Phil W

• 10.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-28-2024 10:52
    Phil and Trey,
    Congrats and continued good health,
    Vic

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC
    Healed Hearts of New Jersey

• 11.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-26-2024 03:35
    Thank You Michael for extending your hand of an unexpected Heart Failure experience to Trey, who is just now moving towards his recovery and acceptance of his new normal.
    I survived an Ideopathic Heart Failure June 16th. of 2016 and have learned to be Happy with the Gift of a Life Unexpected through my Recovery that many of our Heart Failure peers do not Survive!
    The initial Shock & Scare will pass and you will have the ability to then Focus on your Recovery as you "Help Your Dr. Help You" !!
    By partnering with your Healthcare Team to say "Let's Do This" !! While working together towards your Best Recovery Possible!! Many Blessings to you both !! Hoping for a 2024 Full of a Healthfulness & Continued Recovery to you both !! ❤️ 

Virus-free.www.avast.com

• 12.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-27-2024 07:50

Hi Trey

We all know the feelings that you are dealing with right now. It certainly isn't an easy pill to swallow!

Just remember that what seems like the end of the world for us, it's just another Monday for the doctors. These are routine surgeries for them and I needed to constantly remind myself of that. Talking to others who had been through it definitely helped give me some peace of mind("some" may be a stretch!).

I had a lot of fear leading up to the surgery but put myself in good hands and just had to remember that. The recovery certainly isn't easy but one day at a time things got better and I got back to normal and I was back working out regularly.

I remember being angry that this was happening to me but in hindsight, it's one of the best things that has ever happened. I have a different outlook on life and am able to appreciate a lot of the things that i used to overlook.

Hang in there and keep us posted!

Cole Morrison
    772-215-1621
    Saint Simons Island, GA

• 13.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-28-2024 08:19

Hi Trey,

My family history is the same - grandfather, father, me... and I thought my issues were under control after my stent in 2012 (I had what has become known as the "widowmaker"). I live in Manhattan and walking 7 miles a day is not uncommon.  I also ride my bike regularly and along with regular visits to the cardiologist, I thought I was in the clear. I was out riding on 7/17/22 when I realized I was having a little trouble catching my breath. I bought my bike home, strolled over to the emergency room and had an unexpected quadruple 3 days later (2 months before my 62nd birthday). I didn't have enough time to scare myself silly but I pictured my dad in recovery after his double in 1986 - he looked like death. What a huge difference from then until now! I won't say it was a piece of cake but it was nowhere near as tough as I expected. You will have some ups and downs but you will begin to feel more like yourself faster than you think. Walking one block around my neighborhood was incredibly challenging but I tried to be proud of each step. One thing to keep in mind is to pay attention to your mental health. Many CABG patients become depressed and that is not our cardiologist's area of expertise. My primary physician discussed the topic with me and I'm glad she did. She put me on a low dose of Prozac and it worked wonders.  I'm guessing that as a police officer, you tend to keep your feelings close. Try not to feel guilty if you can't keep the "tough SOB" persona going 24/7.  As so many before you, will get through it. 

Please post how you are doing.

Jeff Salat
    New York, NY

• 14.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-30-2024 22:11

Thank you for your words.  I LOVE Manhatten. Travel up there every few years from Oklahoma during the holidays.  I do keep my feelings very close and my own brother, who had a quad bypass in 2021, has also warned me about the depression issue. His came out in the form of anger. He caught on to it pretty quick. I will know what to look for.

I am finding myself thinking more about the recovery process, returning to my walking/running routine, etc etc.  This is helping as I get closer to the Feb 16th date.   Thanks for you kind words,

Trey Warner
    Police Officer
    OK

• 15.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-31-2024 05:50
    Trey,
    You've got the right post surgery approach. Focus your thoughts on the summertime; walking / running outside, favorite park / lake experiences.
    Right now I'm going to the local Y; the treadmill for 60 minutes and 20 minutes on life fitness machines. Focus your thinking on the coming warmer weather and getting outside.
    Vic

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC

• 16.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 02-04-2024 07:54

Best of luck and I can't argue about Manhattan.  Even during these tough times, it is a great place to be! Stay safe.

Jeff Salat
    New York, NY

• 17.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-29-2024 08:53

Hello Trey:

I know how you feel.  Like you my family has a history of heart disease.  My father had a massive heart attack followed by a transplant.  My older brothers both had hypertension and multiple strokes.  I thought I was doing enough of the right things to avoid a similar fate.  Sparing you all the details, I was shocked that my cardiac health had gone down so fast.  

The doctors and the rehab team talked a lot about the physical aspects of recovery, but no one really talked about the mental aspects.  So it is a good thing you are here.  It is a good thing you are willing to talk about it.  I wish I had two years ago.  

Victor and a lot of others makes good points on the process.  Get a second opinion if you feel it is necessary.  

I know this is easier said than done, but get as much rest as you can.  Try not to exert yourself.  Try not to dwell on this.  Believe in yourself that you can get through this.  

I do hope you come back here and update everyone.  I, for one, would be more than happy to share this journey with you.

Mike Kennedy
    Fort Worth, TX

Mike Kennedy
    TX

• 18.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 13:23

Hi Mike,

So glad you mentioned the mental aspects. That was something no had prepared me for after my OHS. None of the doctors or nurses ever mentioned it. I've always been very much of positive-mental-attitude kind of guy but after the surgery I went into a deep depression and had massive anxiety and I just couldn't understand why. It was because I knew I needed help and started looking online for support groups for survivors of open heart surgery that I came across Mended Hearts. In a large way, I credit this group and it's members, along with my faith in God, for saving my life. I remember someone on here saying once that when you're on the bypass machine for however many hours you are under for your open heart surgery, it basically resets your brain. That made a lot of sense to me. Yes, there are a lot of physical aspects to recovery from such a traumatic surgery but there is definitely a huge mental/emotional component to it, as well.

Best regards,

Brett

Brett Temple
    Project Manager
    Castleberry AL

• 19.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 14:36
    Be Strong my Fellow Heart Warriors !!  <3
    You will move past these Physical, Mental & Emotional days of Pain to be an Inspiration to others !!
    Don't forget to use your Audio Sensory/Stimulation Nerves to send Calming 60 - 80 Beats per minute of Relaxing Music to heal your Mind & Emotional Soul . . .  after such a Major Surgery that has ravaged/saved your body which is now in need of healing . . .  Here below are a few of my Favorites  : )

Guitar Music-

Piano Music- 

https://youtu.be/3NycM9lYdRI?si=zHWLwZzV5PUUd5Kl

The Relaxing Photos/Videos combined with the Audio Tracts helped me on my most difficult Post Surgery days  . . .  
    Continue to be Blessed in Your Recoveries . . .

Respectfully,

: ) Robin Gage 
    (863)808-9256
    Heart Failure Patient Advocate, Board Member & Ambassador to Heart Failure Practitioners & Patients Everywhere !!

Inline image

• 20.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-29-2024 11:39

I've been where you're at, Brother, and yes, it can be scary. Like you, my issues are hereditary and not due to lifestyle. I tried to do everything right: never smoked, ate healthy, exercise, etc., but you can't fight genetics. My recommendation is to focus on the positive and the fact that they found it before you got hit with a heart attack.  With some intervention and some meds you should be fine. You were also fortunate to have found Mended Hearts early on in your journey, as well. Just being able to ask questions, share how you're feeling and get feedback from the community is a huge benefit. 

Best of luck and sending prayers your way,

Brett

Brett Temple
    Project Manager
    Castleberry AL

• 21.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-30-2024 08:29

Hi Trey,

Hope you're doing well and got more information from your doctor today. I had open heart surgery almost two years ago to repair an aortic aneurysm. My aneurysm was so close to my heart that the doctors had to replace my aortic valve along with my aortic root. Like you, I lived a pretty healthy life (56, vegan, former long distance runner) and my doctors said my aneurysm could have just come down to genetics.

Your feelings are perfectly natural. I think we all get on that emotional roller coaster when a doctor says the words "open heart surgery" to us. I was a complete mess for a while as I think anyone would be. The success rate for OHS is very high but it just takes time to get settled with the idea.

At some point I found it helpful to shift my focus to recovery by getting the house ready for me to come home, planning meals, and learning all I could about my cardio rehab program. By the time I went to the hospital, I felt like the surgery was something I had to get done before I got on with my recovery. (Rehab was great, by the way. I'd still be going if they'd let me. When your doctor clears you for rehab, I highly recommend going to every single session and getting all you can from it!)

The things you're feeling; doubt, fear, anger; just sort of come with the territory but I hope you'll eventually allow yourself to think about what your recovery is going to look like, the progress you'll make while your recovering, and how awesome it will be to have this challenge behind you.

Hope today went well! You can do it!

Scott

Scott Kane

• 22.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-31-2024 00:11

Scott,

Thank you for sharing your Heart Failure Recovery Story with Trey to encourage a Fellow Heart Failure Warrior ! 

You are a very fortunate person to have had the opportunity of an Aortic Malfunction detected early enough for surgical intervention.  In 1997 the Father of my 4 Beautiful Babies died suddenly at the Young Age of 40 from an Aortic Rupture that was at that time a rare and unknown entity in Heart Failure; which greatly impacted our families life forever.  Today I focus my energy Mentoring with other Heart Failure Warriors like yourself to encourage others who are given that 2nd. chance at life. Like the many who have given their words of encouragement to Trey so that he too can move on towards his Best Recovery Possible following Heart Failure & Reconstructive Surgery.  There is Life After Heart Failure, due to early detection, clinical studies and those who have gone before us to participate in research opening the doors to the many success stories that will inspire a new generation of Patients & Practitioners !

Many Blessings for Continued Health to You All ! Enjoy Your Gift of Life !! <3  0 : ) 

Robin Gage
    Board Member
    Heart Failure Society of America/Heart Failure Research Foundation
    Lakeland FL

• 23.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-31-2024 05:53

Robin,

I like your phrase, "heart failure warriors". I lost a good friend to heart failure and he was a warrior indeed.

Vic

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Short Hills, New Jersey
    fvfabry@gmail.com

• 24.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-31-2024 12:09

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your encouragement. I am so sorry about the loss of your husband. It's a testament to him and yourself that you mentor other Heart Failure Warriors. Your actions mirror the amazing caring, kindness, and generosity of spirit that I encountered in people at the hospital and at cardio rehab. I hope Trey finds the same as he starts his recovery journey!

Be well! Scott

ScottKane

• 25.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 02-01-2024 08:51

I would urge all who have had such positive experiences to participate as a Mended Hearts Visitor if you have an opportunity. I've been doing it for several years through the Oakland chapter to which I belong. ("Vertical role models" is what our group leader terms us.) Over 90% of the people I see are grateful for the visit -- and it is internally rewarding too.

Bob] Levin
    Berkeley CA
    adelbob@comcast.netRobertRobert

• 26.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-31-2024 10:09

You might want to check out my website that I put together after 2 HA'S and quadruple bypass. Was on TV several times to talk about the changes in my life. Hope it helps.

Www.betternowthanks.com 

John Myers
    North Granby CT
    (860) 413-9209

• 27.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 01-31-2024 11:27
    John 
    I like the theme of your website. Many open heart patients want to give back to other OHS patients and your message reflects my own thoughts also.

"God gave me a second chance at life. I am grateful for that gift and feel I might be able to make some small contribution to help people in similar situations through their pain and recovery."

Vic
    Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC

• 28.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-04-2024 09:10

Hi Trey! I'm 14 days out of the modified bentall procedure and I feel great! Don't be afraid! Yes it hurts but not too much. You can do it man! Our heavenly Father we ask you for a surrender and acceptance of the solution not the problem! Be with Trey my Lord and steady to the hands of the surgeon. God speed and Amen!

Wendell Riggs

• 29.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-04-2024 09:10

Hi Trey I replied earlier privately but I'm new and did not know how to reply publicly.  I am 16 days out of surgery . . . modified Bentall procedure. A doctor came in and said you need OPEN HEART surgery I said "OK." On Feb 15 2024 the surgery was performed. Don't be fooled, it took me one year to get the courage up lol and upon hearing the news the first time . . . I cried my eyes out. The first few days after surgery are a blur . . . it hurts a little . . . but not as bad as I thought it would. After a week, I know right? . . . I got a fright with my heart beating too fast but the doctors and team were on it. Today I'm feeling soooo much better! I'm very happy I got it over with and you will be too. 

Wendell Riggs

• 30.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 10:49

Well I am 7 days after "H-Day", wound up with a triple bypass and beat the clock by getting out of the hospital on day 5.  A few things I notice:

--My back and neck are going through muscle spasms almost daily for several hours. Muscle relaxers are helping take the edge off.

--I was walking 3-4 miles a day 3 days a week before surgery. Now??- I get about 10 minutes of walking 3x a day. The shortness of breath is still shocking to me. 

--My left leg where they took the veins hurts more than anything. Purple, stings, etc. I am told this is normal. Plus I still have a little edema in my left calf and foot that I did not have before surgery.

--First time I showered I had about 30 min of heart "flutter" fortunately this was in the hospital. Still trying to get the courage up to take a warm shower. Right now I am just using body wipes and rinsing with cool water. I am a little spooked about my "hot showers" due to that flutter moment.

Is all of this normal?   I go back for followup on March 18.

Trey Warner
    Police Officer
    OK

• 31.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 10:59

2016 I had 2 heart attacks and quadruple bypass surgery. As I was recovering I out this website together.  I hope you find it useful.

Www.betternowthanks.com

8 years later, still going strong!

John Myers
    North Granby CT
    (860) 413-9209

• 32.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 13:32

Hi Trey. So glad to hear that you came through your surgery okay. I know there will be days where it doesn't seem like it but you will improve a little each day and don't forget that everyone heals at a different rate. I've read many stories on here where people have breezed right through their recovery and others, like me, who had a more difficult time. Bottom line is, lean on your support group, make it a point to try and move around a little more each day and fill your mind with as much positive stuff as you can because you will have challenging days where your attitude will be the most important tool you have to get you through. For me, I focus on gratitude every day when I wake up but it can be whatever gives you that spark and motivation to keep going forward.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Best regards,

Brett

Brett Temple
    Project Manager
    Castleberry AL

• 33.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 14:11

Trey,

I've survived two open heart surgeries, in 2007 and 2017.  The a-fib or heart palpitations can be controlled with meds, so discuss this with your cardiologist.

Taking your first shower can be intimidating, so have your wife or family member near by to assist. 

The post surgery meds you are taking will affect your strength and endurance.  It may take you a few months to be rebuild your endurance.

The week I returned home, I began walking in my neighborhood. The following week I walked at the local indoor mall at increasing times and distances.

Write down a list of questions about exercise, sleep, medications and post surgery recovery to discuss at your next consultation.

Cardiac Rehab is recommended for all heart patient after surgery. Ask your cardiologist for a prescription to the program.  It's 3 times a week for one hour per visit for 3 months. The program is supervised by a nurse and P/E specialists. Includes treadmill, stationary bike, upper body machine and light weights. 

I power walk 4.5 miles each day outside on park trails. If it's raining, or under 35° I go to the local Y and do 3.6 miles on the treadmill plus use the life fitness machines. 

You will return to 95% of your pre-surgery activities but that may take 6 to 9 months.

Good luck,

Vic

Victor Fabry, Founder
    Greylock Advisors, LLC

• 34.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 17:21
    Trey,

Each one of us are different and heal in different ways.   Just take each day as a bonus even right now while they may hurt and seem strange.  Things will get much better but it doesn't happen overnight.  I feel certain in a month you will see a big improvement and it will continue to improve.  Write down all of the things that bother you so when you go back to the doctor for a follow up visit you will remember to ask him about them.  I know he will recommend the cardiac rehab program and as a 17 year survivor of 5way bypass surgery I would encourage anyone to do it following heart surgery.  All these years later I still go to the "Y" five mornings a week because of what cardiac rehab taught me.  I am 80 years old retired from law enforcement and still very active.  Just hang in there and give it some time to heal.  Also, go ahead and take some warm showers.  Continue to keep in touch thru this group.

Best wishes,
    Tommy Broughton
    MH Chapter 28
    Richmond, Va.

Sent from my iPad

• 35.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-05-2024 18:58

Hey Trey,

Good to hear from you and congratulations on getting home! I was very anxious to get back home but those first couple of weeks were scary too. Showers and getting dressed seemed to take up half of the day and were usually followed by a nap. Soon, each day got a little better.

Before surgery, my husband and I walked 5.5 miles 6 days a week. Initially after surgery, I was completely winded walking to the end of the driveway and back. Like you, I walked for 10 minutes a couple of times a day and was soon walking 1+ miles a day by doing laps in the house. I was a little afraid of walking away from the house and the first couple of walks down the street were very big deals for me. Aside from running out of breath easily, being under sternal precautions made be feel really fragile. I was worried about losing my balance or having someone bump into me. That got better over time and cardiac rehab was a huge confidence booster.

I had my heart take off at a full gallop once after I got home. It didn't last nearly as long as your episode but it scared the pants off of me. My cardiologist said there were lots of nerves repairing themselves and my heart was understandably annoyed after surgery. My heart still feels different than before surgery (I received a new valve as part of my aortic aneurysm repair) but the flutters and gallops have settled down a great deal. When talking with my doctor about what I was feeling, I found it helpful to specifically ask him when I should seek medical help. Knowing when I needed to see someone helped me figure out what's typical and what's unusual.

Congratulations again and hope you're settling in at home. The first couple of weeks are tough but soon you'll feel improvements each day. Keep sending updates!

Scott

Scott Kane
    Chico, CA

• 36.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-06-2024 15:10

Hello Trey,

Thank you for sharing your story and your Open-Heart Surgery (OHS) recovery process. Medicine and technology are amazing, but all the pre-op prep in the world doesn't always seem to soothe the immediate experience of recovery. Thank goodness for Mended Hearts. I'm happy to read that you were able to leave the hospital after 5 days; all three of my OHS stays were no less than 11 days. Back and neck muscle aches were normal in all my recoveries, and I had to learn to be patient with myself. I found that the higher my expectations, the lower the level of peace of mind. I fully understand the frustrations with the lack of lung capacity, and I remember wanting so badly to take a deep intake of air. I was frustrated with my time using the breathing exercise machine the hospital sent me home with. Once again, I needed to stay mindful that the surgery I experienced was not easy on my body, and it is going to take time and diligence with my exercises to "recover" my lung capacity. I can only imagine the pain of having a vein removed from a leg, and as you stated, "this is normal," and that takes trusting the process.

Over the last 36 years, I have endured three OHS, Aortic Valve replacements, Aortic Stim removed and resized, meshed and replaced. My heart's electrical system was damaged in the first surgery, and I have been pacemaker dependent for 36 years, (working on pacemaker number 6). My pacemaker wires have failed, and I have had wires added because my original wires were too old to remove. My chest x-ray looks like a rat's nest of wires. In my last surgery, hot showers were my go-to place to ease the pain. The pain in my chest, back, and shoulder was extreme, and the pain meds were not helping. I was so grateful for hot water, and there is something very soothing about a warm or hot shower. People who have not had surgery experience irregular heartbeats, but they are not as sensitive as someone who has had heart surgery. I can take my pulse without touching my wrist.

Trey, just as I am still here on the planet, you too are here, and we are supposed to be here. If I had a dollar for every time I died in my head, I would be a millionaire, but I am not. A mentor said to me once, "die on the day you are supposed to die" and live on the day you are supposed to live. The heart flutter used to drive me nuts, but I had come to believe I am hypersensitive to the beats of my heart. I used to call my heart Dr. frequently and drive him crazy because I could not get used to feeling the beat of my heart, especially when it was out of rhythm. All that you are going through is normal, my friend. OPH surgery is not normal for our body, and our body and mind are reacting to a very abnormal experience.

David Apilado Sr.

• 37.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-21-2024 08:20

Hi Trey, 

All of your post surgical experiences are normal.  And everything will improve with time and repetition.  It took me 15 days to leave the hospital and once I got home all the little things I took for granted in the course of a daily routine were a challenge.  But it got better.  I gauged my recovery by weeks, not days.  It seemed every week I'd notice a slight improvement. 

I'm just now coming upon my 1 year anniversary from a triple BP & Mitral valve replacement and just 'graduated' from 3 month cardiologist appointments to 6 month visits. 

Just take it one day at a time and give body the time it needs to heal.  Your heart is fixed now...but you have to let the tissue heal from the surgery.  And that just takes time. 

:)

Michael Brown
    Retired

• 38.  RE: Upcoming Open Heart

Posted 03-23-2024 15:20

Hi Trey! Adjusting to our new normal is  difficult. I am so glad to see you are talking about  men's mental health issues Fortunately, I was warned by my HF specialist about depression and he urged me to begin counseling. I did and at the time I did not find it helpful so I stopped attending. Shortly after, the major depression hit. Somehow it passed and I am back in counseling with a new counselor who is more effective. I have found the many support groups to be helpful as well. I was in the hospital for 8 months after my heart attack. Only once, did someone come to ask me if I was depressed. So, of course I told her no and she never came back. Counseling should have been offered while I was hospitalized or at the very least, doctors/nurses should warn us about this issue and offer resources for help.

John Trainor
    Richmond Hill NY